March 21, 2008

It all started with..


A polyp.

In January this year the girls Scott and I all got Pink eye. So all of us went to the Doctor to get checked out. While there Dr. Boud checked into Scott's nose for any infection, and found a polyp. (which freaked Scott out because of his family's history of cancer, and I was oblivious, because I had never heard of one) The Doctor assured us that Nasal Polyps are harmless, but can be very irritating to deal with. He referred us to Dr. Finlayson and we were set for our appointment. We went in and Dr. Finlayson took one look at his nose and ordered a CT scan to see what was inside.

The scan showed more than a polyp. There was a lot of polyp tissue, swollen adenoids, and a Deviated Septum. (Which I then said "Ha, I was right". I've been trying to get Scott to the Doctor because of his snoring for years. The snoring didn't bother me that much, I'm a heavy sleeper, but if he fell asleep before me, forget it! I knew that his snoring bothered him though and he mentioned a lot how tired he was. I told him that he probably had a Deviated Septum, because both of his grandparents had them, and his mom probably does too.) Dr. Finlayson told us that the polyp tissue was probably caused by the deviated septum. I imagined that Scott didn't drain properly and blew his nose way to hard to get rid of the mucus, causing the polyps to form.

Dr. Finlayson then told us that Scott was 80% blocked in some areas and surgery is probably the best option but wanted to try a steroid nasal spray and see us in a week. Of coarse there we no improvements and at our appointment a week later we set up an appointment for March 12 to have the surgery done.

Last week we went in Wednesday morning at 8:45 and prepped for the surgery. Dr. Finlayson came in to talk to us, and ask us a series of questions that we had answered on the Medical History sheet, and by the receptionist when we came in then told us a little bit about the surgery. Then a medical student came in and told us what the procedure would include and asked us the same questions we had been asked three times already, and then the Anesthesiologist came in telling Scott about the anesthesia and asked us the same questions again, and then he took Scott back.

Dr. Finlayson told me the operation would be about an hour beginning at 9:45 but the surgery went way longer. I talked to Dr. Finlayson at about noon. He then related to me the number of things that were done: Corrected the Nasal Septum, Removed far more Polyp tissue than expected, removed adenoid, shaved down the contrapalosa a bit, and remove chronic infection.

I got to see Scott at about 12:30, and the first thing he said to me is "I want my hand gun." I just laughed. He is hilarious when he's on drugs. We hung out for about 30 minutes and then got ready to go.

When we scheduled the surgery Scott and I both wondered if we would see anybody from our Ward that day because of the vase number of Medical Students that we are surrounded by. Sure enough on our way out Scott and I both saw Clint Humphreys (I did see him earlier) Scott told him about his white mustache (gos taped to his face to catch dripping blood) and how excited he was to have a mustache. Clint briefly talked to us and we went on our way to Costco for Hydrocodone.

My Dad gave Scott a blessing on Sunday. The girls had been with Sherrie all Wednesday morning and my sister and her husband that afternoon. We were brought dinner by the Wilkinson's that night, and Clint checked up on us at church on Sunday. My mom came and took the girls for me on Monday so I could solely take care of Scott.

Thank you everyone that helped us through this time. Scott is doing better, and breathing more and more like a "normal person" everyday. I can hear him breathe through his nose now, granted it's still stuffy from healing, he also mentions that he can feel his sinuses drain, a sensation he's never felt before. I think and hope that this surgery will have been a blessing in his life, and my life! Yea no more snoring!

3 comments:

Brinton, Becky, and Gang said...

That was a funny comment that Scott made when he was waking up from the surgery! But it makes me wonder, how often is Scott actually on drugs?

Josh and Juli said...

That sounds like it was quite a procedure! I'm glad everything went well and hope it will be good thing for him! That's hilarious about the hand gun comment, by the way. I always love hearing what stupid things I say when I'm out of it.

Brinton, Becky, and Gang said...

I was just joking about the drug comment of course. I knew he was just coming out of anesthesia but it sounded funny to me when I read it!