Scott and I were so excited to find that the DMV is open on Saturday. We could just go in and get our Maryland drivers license and there would be no stress, because Scott could go on his day off and I wouldn't have to go alone with three kids. Such was not the case!
Saturday- We went in at 10 a.m. and there was a line almost out the door to get a number and no where to sit. We get to the front of the line with kids saying how bored they are and wanting food. We go through our pile of papers and show them all of the needed paper work except a second proof of residency. Car insurance policy, no. If you have a cable bill that would work? What? My car insurance won't work, something I have to have, but my cable bill will work. (I don't have cable and even if I did I wouldn't have a bill for that yet I've lived here three weeks) Okay, what about car purchase paper work, got it. That will work. Yes!
Two hours later...
"Now serving #whatever" we venture to the counter together three kids in tow, and they can't help us simultaneously Scott has to go to a different counter clear across the room.
I sit down hand them my paperwork. The car paperwork will not work. Are you joking? Nope. They sent us away!!!! with a list of acceptable proof of residency.
Last night- We're going through all of our paperwork, what do we have other than our rent agreement for proof every residency. No bill yet, no car title (no license) nothing. We've got our checks maybe that will work, and I have a bill from BGE bingo. Well it's not really a bill it's a letter saying they want my money. That seems like a bill to me right? Wrong!!!!
This morning-I gather my three children, drop Adelle off to school and venture to Glen Burnie in hopes I will not go home empty handed. My license expires Saturday! Unload Lilly and Gavin and head yet again to the DMV (around here MVA) show the lady at the front desk my paperwork yet again I don't have an acceptable second proof of residency. Luckily the front desk lady is much more helpful, yet barely speaks English. This lady sends me to my bank, down the street, to get a bank statement printout. Wait in line another 10-15 minutes they can't do that at a teller. So I meet with a "Finance Specialist" (someone with more power I guess) and she can't print it at her desk she has to go to a...what...a teller. Okay I leave my bank praying that this will work. On the way Gavin's hungry so pit stop feeding, and on our way.
And the verdict is
It worked!! Hallelujah!!!
Welcome, again to Maryland! Gotta love it! I just hope everything works out for Scott when he goes to get his!

3 comments:
I know how you are feeling. I still need to get mine changed. I called a head of time to know what to bring, they told me a birth certificate, ss card, even a credit card. No problem, right? Wrong apparently if you're coming from Utah the only thing they will accept is a birth certificate or a passport. Luckily Scottie has his passport here, but no birth certificate for me. Seriously, when has a ss card not worked? Or a marriage certificate?
Hey, you are doing better than me, I still don't have a Michigan license and it has been six months, we had the same problem...grrr, I have already been twice and don't want to venture out again....Glad you finally got yours.
My friend who moved here from Maryland says the place is crazy and everyone she knew there agreed. Sorry to here that so far it is true for you! Although the DMV is crazy everywhere. Apparently a common African American spelling of my name is Jessicia and it took me three tries to get them to spell it Jessica at our DMV.
Post a Comment