November 4, 2007

Eventful Halloween!

Well Halloween, or should I say the following day, was quite an eventful day for us at the Foutz Home. After four different Trick or Treating excursions over a six day period. (not to mention a Halloween party the previous Saturday) We set home from my mom and dad's house to sleep and have a calm evening. Scott and I set off to bed at about 11:00 and I was hoping to get a good night's rest so that I could resume my usual daily activities. Well Lilly thought other wise.

Lilly did not go Trick or Treating at my mom and dad's because I could sense a bit of a cold and decided to keep her indoors. Then when I put that sweet girl to bed I could sense that something was not quite right, and she was pretty sick, so I set up the baby monitor next to my side of the bed so I could listen to her.

After I fell asleep I heard Scott get out of bed and then heard Lilly wheezing terribly. Scott then called to me, and told me that she was really struggling to breath. I threw on my bathrobe and took Lilly outside in the cold air to reduce the swelling in her wind pipe. After sitting with her for a few minutes and getting her back to sleep I went back upstairs to Scott where he gave Lilly a blessing. I then called my mom to see if there was anything that I could give her to help her breath better. She told me there was nothing and then over-heard Lilly's breathing.
Mom: "Is that her breathing?"
Me: "Yeah"
Mom: "I think you may need to take her in"
Me: "You think?"
Mom: "Yeah, I never had any of my kids sound like that."
Knowing that my parents have been to the emergency room multiple times with children with croup I decided that she was right and that Scott and I needed to take her to the hospital.

Luckily we live so close to Primary Children's Hospital. We got into the car, sleeping Adelle and all, and went to the emergency room. I went through the front doors and they took Lilly and I back immediately and got her started on a mist treatment. They took her vitals and she fought them tooth and nail with the pressure cuff. Then they took us to a room and put some kind of medicine in the little mister and gave Lilly a breathing mask so that that medication could be right closer to her mouth and nose. That was when the wrestling match began. Right from the beginning she broke the strap on the mask so I had to just hold it on her face. She fought me screaming "Mommy" "No" and just screaming. You never really know how strong your children are until they are in a situation like that. Granted I was alone, Scott and Adelle were still in the waiting room and there wasn't really anyone that could help me, so I sang and shushed and did everything that I could to try and calm her. Finally she started to go to sleep and the medicine was gone. They came in again to take her vitals and we started to wrestle again. Shortly thereafter they told us they wanted her to stay overnight and moved us to the R.T.U. wing where we stayed until 2:00 p.m. that afternoon.

One of the funniest parts of this whole story is that Adelle stayed asleep for the whole thing. She was moved 3 different times and woke up briefly when we arrived at the hospital. Thank heaven for heavy sleepers!

Lilly is doing much better now. She is coughing, but other that that you would never know that she is sick.

2 comments:

Shellie said...

Sick babies are the worst! I am sorry Kimbur. What a long, hard week. You are a trooper.

The Richardsons said...

Oh man, being in the hospital with a sick baby is the worst! I'm glad she's feeling better!