September 11, 2011

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning...



...that September Day?

I don't usually post on a Sunday. Its a day when my hubby's home, and I spend the day not worrying about daily cares. But today I decided to make an exception.

I find myself having a difficult time putting into words how I feel tonight, but I will do my best.

These are my feelings...feelings of a woman who may not know a lot about the War on Terror or how it feels to be directly effected by these events. But that day is very real to me.

Sept. 11 2001-
I was getting ready for work and I didn't have the television on that morning. I was an 18 year old girl (now you know my age:) with "better" things on my mind than the news (i.e. clothes, shoes, boys, my car). I worked for a dentist and when I arrived at work that morning the news was on and I saw the smoke billowing from one of the towers. The first thought that came to my mind was.."Did someone fall asleep at the wheel? How could someone get that far off track?" I was clueless.

That day something changed. I grew up a little. That day I was PROUD to be an American! Over the course of a couple of hours I saw our country come together, and unify. But I was only an 18 year old girl far away from New York, and knew no one hurt or killed by this incident. It wasn't very close to home.

I feel very differently today, 10 years later. Watching our economy struggle brings September 11 home to me. Having close friends who go without seeing their husbands for a year or longer brings September 11 home to me. Knowing men that listen to the birth of their child over the phone brings September 11 home to me. Seeing children talk about their fathers who are deployed with pride brings September 11 home to me. Seeing the victories in the Middle East brings September 11 home to me. Being married to a man who daily protects our freedom brings September 11 home to me.

I am prouder, stronger and more grateful to live in the land of the free and truly the HOME OF THE BRAVE!




I WILL NEVER FORGET!

1 comment:

"The Savages" said...

thanks for the post... I'm a friend of Daiana & Jared & somehow ended up on your blog (although I think we may have met along time ago). Thanks for bringing 9/11 home to me too. Who could forget and yes, very proud to be in the USA! ;-)